This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 17 °C Tuesday 16 July, 2019
Advertisement

Police release video showing shooting of man which sparked riots

The family of Keith Lamont Scott have already released their own video.

A still taken moments before Keith Lamont Scott was shot dead.
A still taken moments before Keith Lamont Scott was shot dead.

CHARLOTTE POLICE HAVE released footage of the shooting death of a black man during an encounter with officers in the state of North Carolina, after days of protests demanding the videos be made public.

The shooting of Keith Lamont Scott on Tuesday has caused several nights of unrest in the southern US city where various residents have called for the police to hand over the footage.

The videos were released to a number of US media and posted online. The first shows Scott getting out of a vehicle and walking backwards as police fire four rounds at him, but it is unclear whether he has a gun in hand. A second clip reveals Scott on the ground in the moments after he was shot as officers surround him.

Police had previously refused to release the dash-cam and body-cam footage, which they said showed that the 43-year-old African-American had posed a threat to officers.

Charlotte Police Fatal Shooting Protesters shout as they march in the streets of Charlotte. Source: Chuck Burton

But Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney seemed to change his tune yesterday, telling reporters that people “want to see the facts, objective facts. And that’s what we’re presenting.”

“People can interpret anything they want based on one piece of evidence, and I can tell you, I suspect they will, based on the video footage. But what I say is, you have to put all pieces together,” he said.

Scott’s family lawyer Justin Bamberg told a news conference that despite the new videos, it was still impossible to “clearly identify what, if anything, is in his hand, and that has not changed.”

Book or handgun

Source: Global News/YouTube

Scott was shot and killed at a Charlotte apartment complex during an encounter with police searching for another person wanted for arrest.

Police say he had a handgun. His family says he was holding a book.

Putney reemphasised that Scott had a handgun and added that he was also in possession of marijuana.

When officers “see the weapon, and they see the marijuana, they say, ‘oh-oh, this is a safety issue for us and the public,’” Putney said.

Police Shootings Protest Atlanta Source: AP/Press Association Images

Police also released a photo of a handgun they say Scott had on him as well as an ankle holster and a marijuana blunt.

During his press conference earlier in the day, Putney also said that DNA evidence would be released.

He told reporters that he had made the call to release the footage and media only after getting confirmation “that when I release what I’m going to release, there is no adverse impact on the State Bureau of Investigation’s investigation. And I have that assurance now.”

Following several nights of violence-marred protests, North Carolina’s governor had already declared a state of emergency in the city.

Scott’s family has previously released two minutes of smart phone footage filmed by his wife, which does not show the shooting itself and does not conclusively answer the question of whether he was armed.

© AFP 2016.

Read: Four women and a man dead after shooting at Washington shopping centre

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (124)