#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 9°C Monday 27 September 2021
Advertisement

Strikes shut down Egyptian port city for second day

The protesters are angry over the killing of some 50 people during demonstrations last month.

Egyptian protesters clash with police in violence last month.
Egyptian protesters clash with police in violence last month.
Image: STR/AP

HUNDREDS OF ANTI-government protesters have blocked central roads and work was halted for a second day in Egypt’s restive coastal city of Port Said, the site of an unprecedented soccer massacre in 2012.

The protesters are angry over the killing of some 50 people during demonstrations last month against the death sentences for 21 people, mostly fans of the city’s soccer club Al-Masry, for their part in the February of last year, stadium violence that killed 74.

Many Egyptians believe last year’s deadly stadium riots in Port Said were orchestrated either by the police or by Mubarak supporters, and any verdict was likely to trigger a highly charged response.

As part of a partial general strike under way in Port Said, local government employees, port customs and small businesses were shut today. The city’s army-guarded university and banks remained open.

Port Said sits on the northern tip of the Suez Canal but the strikes have not disrupted shipping in the international waterway.

Read: Egypt: 31 dead after football riot verdict>

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (3)