This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 18 °C Sunday 12 July, 2020
Advertisement

ETA says it’s ready to disband if certain conditions are met

The armed Basque separatist group has issued a statement saying it wants to bring home some of its prisoners.

Relatives of people thought to have been killed by the Basque armed separatist group ETA, protest against the release from jail of ETA member, Josu Uribetxeberria in September
Relatives of people thought to have been killed by the Basque armed separatist group ETA, protest against the release from jail of ETA member, Josu Uribetxeberria in September
Image: AP Photo/Alvaro Barrientos

SPAIN’S ARMED BASQUE separatist group ETA has said it’s ready to discuss disbanding and to negotiate with France and Spain if certain conditions are met, in a statement published on a Basque news site.

The group, which last year said it had abandoned violence after a four-decade campaign for an independent homeland that claimed more than 800 lives, said one outstanding issue was the transfer of Basque prisoners to jails closer to home.

ETA wanted to discuss “formulas and timetables” to bring home prisoners and Basque political exiles; disarmament and the break-up of its armed structures; and the demobilisation of ETA members.

The statement ran on Naiz.info, the website of the Basque newspaper Gara.

Until yesterday’s statement, the group had refused to announce its dissolution and disarmament, as demanded by Spain and France.

But weakened by a series of arrests in France and Spain in recent years, ETA said Saturday it was ready to “listen to and analyse” proposals from Madrid and Paris.

The two governments would have a “precise knowledge” of its positions, it added.

Gara said it would publish the full statement in its Sunday edition.

ETA has been placed on a list of terrorist organisations by the United States and the European Union and has been blamed for the deaths of 829 people. Its last attack on Spanish soil was in August 2009.

It has persistently called for around 700 Basque prisoners incarcerated in jails across Spain to be transferred back to prisons in the Basque region so they can be closer to their families.

- © AFP, 2012

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (4)