We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Kerry Mountain Rescue responding to an emergency on Saturday. Kerry Mountain Rescue

Five people rescued after being stranded overnight on Carrauntoohil

The group will be off of the mountain within the hour.

RESCUE EFFORTS HAVE succeeded at helping five people off of Howling Ridge in Carrauntoohil after they became stranded there last night.

At 11pm last night the group made a call to Kerry Mountain Rescue to say they were stuck on a ledge at the top of one of the steepest routes on the mountain, according to a Kerry Mountain Rescue spokesperson.

The search operation got underway at 6am; Kerry Mountain Rescue personnel were airlifted to the scene by the rescue helicopter R115.

Gerry Christie, from Kerry Mountain Rescue said that a decision was made to keep the stranded group on the mountain last night. 

“They had a short summer’s night on the mountain, it might have been uncomfortable but none of them were injured so the risks of going up there to get them in the dark outweighed the benefits.”

Rescue helicopter R115 was on standby to airlift the group off the mountain if necessary but with the assistance of Kerry Mountain Rescue personnel who reached the mountain at dawn they were able to be aided to the summit with ropes.

They are understood to be walking down the Devil’s Ladder path “tired and fatigued but otherwise safe,” Christie said.

Kerry Mountain Rescue expect them to be off the mountain within the hour.

This marked the team’s seventh callout in two weeks, having rescued a man on Saturday who sustained multiple injuries when he fell in the McGillycuddy Reeks.

The man was successfully airlifted by the R115 in a stretcher to University Hospital Kerry.

The callout began at 2pm and involved 27 members of the team before it concluded at midnight.

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

    Leave a commentcancel