We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

The scene of the incident this morning Dominic McGrath/
wilton terrace

Homeless man in serious condition after tent removed during clean-up in Dublin

Gardaí were alerted to the incident at Wilton Terrace yesterday afternoon.

LAST UPDATE | 15 Jan 2020

A HOMELESS MAN is in serious condition in hospital after the tent he was sleeping in was removed during a clean-up of an area in Dublin 2. 

Gardaí were alerted to the incident at Wilton Terrace yesterday afternoon. 

The man was sleeping in his tent when it was being removed in an attempt to tidy the canal walk way. 

In a statement to, Dublin City Council confirmed that the incident occured during a process in which Waterways Ireland was removing tents that were “placed in a precarious and dangerous location”. 

The man received injuries during the incident. 

He was removed to St Vincent’s Hospital where he remains in serious but stable condition.

“The Dublin Region Homeless Executive has been engaging with the individual for some time and accommodation remains available to the individual,” the council said. 

The council said the DRHE is currently engaging with the hospital. 

“Every support is being provided, our thoughts are with the man,” the council said. 

“It should be noted that every action that is taken by State services is taken in the interest of health and safety of those individuals experiencing homelessness,” it added. 

Waterways Ireland has said that it works with Dublin City Council/DRHE to “remove tents along canals in Dublin where they have become a public safety hazard”. 

“Our thoughts are very much with the individual who was injured.”

Waterways Ireland said it is “co-operating fully” with the Garda investigation. 

“While that investigation is ongoing, Waterways Ireland is obliged to not comment further,” it said. 

The Health and Safety Authority confirmed that it was notified of the incident and inspectors are carrying out a preliminary investigation.

Investigations are ongoing.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

    Leave a commentcancel