We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Met Police

Irishman murdered by supermarket worker who thought he was in a "parallel dimension"

Malachi Lindo smashed in Philip Steels’ head with a brick, the court was told.

A 27-YEAR-OLD supermarket worker has been found guilty of murdering 51-year-old Sligo man Philip Steels in north London.

The Met Police said that in September of last year, Malachi Lindo, of Bowles Green, Enfield, caved in Phillip Anthony Michael Steels’ face with a brick, leaving him for dead on the street.

Lindo was found guilty yesterday at the Old Bailey of Steel’s murder.


lindo Malachi Lindo Met Police Met Police

The court heard that on the evening of Wednesday 3 September, Steels (who lived at Burncroft Avenue, Enfield), had been drinking at home. He later went out. He had been in a long dispute with a neighbour, and was said to be in an angry state.

As he was walking down the road from a friend’s house, he became involved in an altercation with Lindo. The two were strangers.

The pair began fighting, during which Steels fell to the ground and Lindo sat over him and smashed him in the face with a house brick.

He left Steels in a pool of blood and walked across the road to a parked white Audi A3.

He then sat down with his back to the vehicle and his legs on the road, which meant that several cars passing by had to swerve around him. He sat there for 15 minutes.

Police arrival

When police arrived at the scene at 1.44am, Lindo spotted them and ran away.

Police pursued Lindo, who had started “randomly rolling across the road”. He was arrested for murder after it was confirmed that Phillip Steels had died.

Lindo acted erratically and babbled at officers, before telling them that he had taken a cocktail of drugs, including cannabis, cocaine and MDMA.

He spat at the police officers, asked could he go home, and said:

I promise I won’t kill again.

A blue baseball cap belonging to Lindo, and a brick, were found next to Steels.

Also nearby was a rucksack belonging to Lindo that contained a large quantity of drugs and related paraphernalia. After his home was searched, it was confirmed that he was dealing drugs at the time.

Lindo will be sentenced on Monday 16 March.

Horrendous attack

Investigating officer Acting Detective Sergeant Mike Stubbins, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, described the incident as a “horrendous attack on an innocent member of the public, brought about by a complicated and confused individual being high on a cocktail of drugs”.

Lindo had been taking numerous drugs. He has stated that his mind started playing games and he felt he was in a parallel dimension.This is a tragic case where an innocent member of the public has felt the wrath of a young man whose life had been unravelling and who had turned to experimenting with illegal substances.Unfortunately he has let out his frustration on the first person he has seen leading to the death of Philip Steels.

- Additional reporting Aoife Barry

Read: Northern Ireland’s peace is Ireland’s peace, we’ve all benefited and all of us must make sure we keep it

Read: India refuses to lift ban on BBC gangrape documentary

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.