#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 4°C Friday 5 March 2021
Advertisement

Mother in court after daughter misses year at secondary school

The offence can result in a prison sentence of up to one month and a €1,000 fine.

Image: Shutterstock/BlurryMe

A DUBLIN MOTHER is facing trial after her daughter missed a year of secondary school.

The woman is being prosecuted at Dublin District Court by Tusla, the Child and Family Agency.

She is accused of breaking the Education (Welfare) Act for not complying with an official warning to ensure her child went to school. The case had its first listing in court today. 

Shane Reynolds, prosecuting, told Judge John Brennan it was a serious matter and there had been no attendance by the child in the last school year or so far during the current one.

The solicitor said Tusla was trying to make some progress, and their officials and the woman had met outside court today. 

Legal aid 

The barrister for the defence confirmed the woman was present, however, the accused did not address the court.

The defence agreed to a two-week adjournment with the case being listed for mention on the next date.

Judge Brennan warned the woman that the child should be attending school. The girl’s age was not stated during the hearing.

The offence can result in a prison sentence of up to one month and a €1,000 fine.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

The minimum school-leaving age is 16 years or the completion of three years of post-primary education.

Legal aid was granted to the woman who has not yet indicted how she will plead to the charge.

Comments are closed due to ongoing legal proceedings. 

About the author:

Tom Tuite

Read next:

COMMENTS