This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 0 °C Thursday 27 February, 2020
Advertisement

Millions evacuated as the Philippines braces for another powerful typhoon

“Everyone here is gripped with fear.”

PastedImage-31310 Source: EarthWindMap

MILLIONS OF PEOPLE in the Philippines have begun seeking shelter in churches, schools and other makeshift evacuation centres as a monster typhoon bore down on the disaster-weary nation.

The storm, which would be the strongest to hit the Southeast Asian archipelago this year, is expected to impact more than half the nation including communities devastated by Super Typhoon Haiyan last year.

Authorities said more than 500,000 families, or about 2.5 million people, in the eastern Philippines would be evacuated ahead of Hagupit’s expected landfall on Saturday night or Sunday.

vis-animated Source: NOAA via cyclocane.com

“Everyone here is gripped with fear,” Rita Villadolid, 39, told AFP as she sat with her family and hundreds of other people inside a sports stadium in Tacloban, one of the cities still yet to recover from Haiyan.

Elsewhere in Tacloban, a coastal city of 220,000 people on the eastern island of Leyte, people began flooding into churches and schools with little more than bags of clothes.

Haiyan, the strongest storm ever recorded on land with winds of 315 kilometres an hour, killed or left missing more than 7,350 people as it tore across the central Philippines last year.

Hagupit was generating winds of 215 kilometres (133 miles) an hour on Friday as it tracked towards the Philippines from the Pacific Ocean.

The US Navy’s Joint Typhoon Warning Center has downgraded Hagupit from the maximum super typhoon category to typhoon status.

Philippines Typhoon Typhoon survivors, some of whom are still living in tents, evacuate to safer grounds with their belongings at Tanauan township, Leyte province. Source: AP/Press Association Images

But this would still make Hagupit the strongest storm to hit the Philippines this year, and it would also bring storm surges more than one storey high to many coastal areas, according to state weather agency Pagasa.

In the eastern region of Bicol alone, the government was aiming to move 500,000 families, about half the local population, into evacuation centres, regional civil defence director Bernardo Alejandro told AFP.

“All resources are being mobilised,” Alejandro said, adding evacuations had begun.

© AFP 2014. Originally published 9.27am

Read: How some survivors are left forgotten after major disasters >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (2)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel