This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 20 °C Tuesday 16 July, 2019
Advertisement

No public inquiry into Omagh bombing

The decision was announced by Northern Ireland’s Secretary of State today.

Image: Paul McErlane/PA Wire/Press Association Images

THERE WILL BE no public inquiry into the 1998 Omagh bombing, Northern Ireland’s Secretary of State announced today.

Theresa Villiers said she arrived at the decision not to instigate the probe as she does not believe there are sufficient grounds to justify a further review.

The MP had been considering a proposal by the Omagh Support and Self Help Group for a full, cross-border investigation.

“First and foremost, I wish to express my sincere sympathies to the survivors of this horrific atrocity and the families of those who died,” she said in a statement.

This was not an easy decision to make and all views were carefully considered. I believe that the ongoing investigation by the Office of the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland is the best way to address any outstanding issues relating to the police investigation into the Omagh attack.

The Real IRA bomb killed 29 people (including a woman pregnant with twins) in the Tyrone town on 15 August 1998.

The Omagh Support and Self Help Group and Amnesty International have campaigned for a public inquiry as families believe there are many questions about the attack that remain unanswered.

Villiers has offered to meet them again to explain her decision further, adding that she hopes the ongoing police investigation will bring justice.

Her department said that there was a divide among survivors and families about a public inquiry, with some offering support for one, while others believed it could cause them “considerable trauma”.

“All these views were weighed against other factors, including the series of previous inquiries into the Omagh bomb and the current investigation by the Office of the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland.”

Earlier: Victim of The Troubles: We are living scars on society

One year on: Hillsborough families left ‘dismayed’ by lack of progress

Pics: Remembering the Omagh bomb that killed 29 people 15 years ago today

More: Amnesty International joins calls for Omagh inquiry

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (13)