This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 13 °C Sunday 21 July, 2019
Advertisement

Ratko Mladic trial suspended by court - again

The trial had originally been suspended on 17 May and was due to resume next week.

Ratko Mladic in the court room earlier this month
Ratko Mladic in the court room earlier this month
Image: AP Photo/Martin Meissner, Pool

THE TRIAL OF former Bosnian Serb general Ratko Mladic at The Hague has been suspended until further notice.

The trial, which had originally been suspended on 17 May due to prosecutors’ errors, was due to resume next week.

The International Criminal Trial for the former Yugoslavia said this evening that the decision was made after submissions from both the defence and the prosecution about the disclosure of evidence.

No further reason was given, but the ICTY said the full reasoning will be made public ‘in due course’.

Mladic was arrested in Serbia last year after 16 years on the run. He is facing 11 separate counts at The Hague, including a charge of genocide for his role in the siege of Sarajevo between 1992 and 1996 and for allegedly orchestrating the massacre of 8,000 Muslims at Srebrenica.

He has refused to enter a plea.

Karadzic asks judges to dismiss his genocide case >

Explainer: Ratko Mladic trial: what happened in Srebrenica? >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (1)