We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Bambie Thug taking part in last year's contest in Sweden. Alamy Stock Photo

Unions urge RTÉ to hold firm on Eurovision boycott over Israel inclusion ahead of EBU meeting

A vote on Israel’s participation in the song contest is expected to be held tomorrow.

RTÉ STAFF UNIONS have called on the broadcaster to maintain its position on boycotting the 2026 Eurovision Song Contest if Israel is permitted to compete. 

Preparations are currently underway at the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), where the topic of Israel’s inclusion discuss is set to be discussed at its Winter General Assembly tomorrow.

The EBU is considering rule changes intended to prevent ‘political influence’ after controversy over Israel’s second-place finish this year.

The changes would include fewer maximum votes per person, clearer rules on promotion campaigns and prevention of fraudulent or coordinated voting activity.

The changes come after an Israeli government agency paid for adverts targeting this year’s Eurovision public vote.

If members are not convinced to back this tomorrow, a vote on Israel’s participation will follow.

While the annual televised pop music celebration, watched by approximately 150 million viewers globally, strives to remain non-political, Israel’s involvement has deeply embroiled it in controversy.

yuval-raphael-from-israel-reacts-as-she-arrives-for-the-grand-final-of-the-69th-eurovision-song-contest-in-basel-switzerland-saturday-may-17-2025-ap-photomartin-meissner Singer Yuval Raphael represented Israel at the song contest this year. Alamy Stock Photo Alamy Stock Photo

RTÉ, along with broadcasters in Slovenia, Spain and the Netherlands, have all threatened to withdraw from the song context next year if Israel takes part.

A boycott by key European supporters could lead to a significant decline in audience figures and potential sponsorship.

RTÉ has not yet issued a call for Eurovision entries for 2026. Broadcasters must confirm participation by mid-December.

The broadcaster’s latest statement said only that “events in the Middle East are unfolding day by day” and noted that participation is on the EBU agenda, without confirming whether the broadcaster’s position has shifted since September.

At that time, RTÉ said it would be “unconscionable” to take part in 2026 if Israel remained in the contest due to the scale of civilian deaths in Gaza and the killing of journalists.

Since September, a fragile ceasefire has come into effect in Gaza, though infrequent Israeli attacks on Palestinians in the region have continued. More than 70,000 Palestinians have been killed by Israel since October 2023.

NUJ: ‘Position has not changed’

Emma O’Kelly, Chair of the NUJ Dublin Broadcasting Branch, said the union’s stance “has not changed and we see no reason why it would change.”

She highlighted that, since RTÉ’s original decision, a UN inquiry found Israel has committed genocide and concluded journalists were “directly targeted and killed”.

dublin-dublin-ireland-1st-nov-2025-rte-and-palestinian-flags-during-the-protest-outside-the-main-gate-of-rte-the-main-irish-national-television-and-radio-broadcaster-in-dublin-ireland-on-novem A pro-Palestine protest was held outside RTÉ Studios in Donnybrook last month. Alamy Stock Photo Alamy Stock Photo

She said NUJ members “remain fully supportive of the broadcaster’s stance” and believe it reflects staff and public opinion.

RTÉ staff held another minute’s silence yesterday to highlight Israel’s continued refusal to allow international media into Gaza and to commemorate journalists killed during the conflict.

A SIPTU spokesperson added that its committee in RTÉ had welcomed the broadcaster’s stance on Israel’s inclusion in the Eurovision.

Support for RTÉ’s position was “recently reiterated to management”, the spokesperson added.

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Close