This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 7 °C Tuesday 19 March, 2019

South Dublin County Council will NOT be charging for child safety signs

Previously residents were required to pay €200 for a sign and pole and €120 for just the sign.


SOUTH DUBLIN COUNTY Council has decided to waive fees for ‘children at play’ signs.

Residents in the area were previously required to pay €200 per pole and sign or €120 for a sign to be placed on an existing pole.

William Lavelle, a Fine Gael councillor for Lucan, tabled the motion that has led to the removal of the fees.

“Lucan is an area with a large number of estates built in the past 16 years and as a result we have a large population of young children. Speeding in residential estates is an issue of major concern locally,” said Lavelle.

I’m happy to report that the Council has agreed to waive its fee for installing ‘children at play’ signage in residential estates. The Council is now compiling a list of estates where ‘children at play’ signage should be installed.

The signs being placed in the local area include ‘children at play’ signs and ‘children crossing’ signs.


Next week there will be a consultation on the location of new 30kph speed limits to be placed in residential estates around the area. Local councils have the power to take action on specific traffic legislation this through bye-laws.

The new measures come as after a circular was issued by Minister for Transport, Paschal Donohoe, entitled ‘Control of Vehicle Speeds in Housing Estates’.

The circular, delivered to all local authorities, advises a number of measures be taken to ensure traffic safety in relation to placing speed limits in residential estates, the introduction of traffic signs and the use of speed bumps.

Read: Council tenants could have water charges taken from their rent by local authorities

Also: Some councils are taking developer’s money instead of building social housing

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

Read next: