#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 3°C Sunday 27 September 2020
Advertisement

Over 80% of homes and businesses that lost power in Storm Ophelia are back online

All emergency service and hospital facilities have been reconnected.

An ESB worker.
An ESB worker.
Image: ESB Groups

74,000 HOMES AND businesses remain without power this morning as the work to repair the damage from Storm Ophelia continues.

ESB Networks says that it has reconnected 81% of affected premises since Monday’s deadly storm left nearly 400,000 buildings powerless.

All emergency service and hospital facilities have been reconnected, the company says.

“We have prioritised emergency services and hospitals, These have now all been restored and water treatment and waste plants, where there has been huge progress.

“We recognise the great work by the farming organisations and farmers especially who have come together to share equipment and resources such as generators.”

A further update will issue at around noon.

As of 4pm yesterday, 25,000 people were without water, down from a high of 109,000.

While 260,000 had been at risk of losing their water supply, that is down to 2,000.

Counties worst affected by the outages are Cork, Waterford and Wexford.

“While progress has been significant and is continuing, it is clear that some of the very smaller schemes with fewer than 1,000 people will take longer to get back on track and these more remote areas will take longer to get power back.

“Some of these smaller water treatment plants are not suitable for generators so Irish Water is coordinating with the local authorities to ensure that water is provided for the local population with tankers.”

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

Eir estimates that around 50,000 customers are without phone, broadband and mobile services.

“The southern half of the country continues to be the worst affected area. The counties with the highest amount of customers without service are: Cork (15,980); Wexford (6,112) and Limerick (3,965).

“We expect the total number of customers without service will continue to reduce as power supply issues are resolved.”

Read: Summer course hosted at Kildare boarding school fails to pay teachers up to €10k in wages

Read next:

COMMENTS (17)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel