#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 20°C Friday 23 July 2021
Advertisement

Taoiseach to press Cameron on the Ballymurphy Massacre

Enda Kenny gave his support to the families of victims of the 1971 massacre, which left 11 people dead.

Families of the Ballymurphy Massacre victims outside the Dáil today
Families of the Ballymurphy Massacre victims outside the Dáil today
Image: Photocall Ireland

THE TAOISEACH HAS called for an independent panel to be established to examine the Ballymurphy Massacre.

The families of 11 people killed over three days in Belfast in 1971 today met with Enda Kenny, intending to push Kenny to put pressure on British Prime Minister David Cameron.

The meeting included politicians from Sinn Féin, the SDLP and Alliance Party. The Taoiseach was given personal accounts from individual family members of the killings that took place in Ballymurphy.

The massacre came as the British government implemented their internment policy, with the same regiment who would later be responsible the Bloody Sunday massacre claiming that they had been fired on as they entered the area. A 38-year-old priest was one of those shot.

After the meeting, a government spokesperson said the Taoiseach had lent his backing to the families.

“The Taoiseach told the families that the Government supports them, and is fully committed to assisting them in their search for justice, finding out the truth and vindicating the good name and reputation of their loved ones.

“He said that the Irish Government supports the call for the appointment of an Independent Panel to examine all documents relating to the context, circumstances and aftermath of the deaths.

“He also undertook to raise the matter directly with Prime Minister Cameron at their forthcoming meeting.”

Read: Families of Ballymurphy massacre victims to meet the Taoiseach today

Read next:

COMMENTS (15)