Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Advertisement

Investigation under way after Irishman (30) dies in South America

The Department of Foreign Affairs has confirmed that a man has died in Argentina.

AN INVESTIGATION IS under way in Argentina after the death of an Irishman and his flatmate due to suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The tragedy happened in the city of Las Heras in the Mendoza region.

The Los Andes newspaper reports that the two men were found dead in their apartment, and that early indications suggest that stoves were lit in the room while all ventilation to the building was cut off.

The newspaper identifies the men as 30-year-old Irish man Christopher Morris and his 37-year-old flatmate Diego Suarez.

Media reports suggest that Morris is the son of well-known Tipperary horse trainer Michael Morris, based in Fethard, and had been two weeks into a world holiday when the tragedy occurred.

The Los Andes report says the incident happened at 9.45 pm on Monday night.

A neighbour apparently called emergency services when he noticed water coming out from beneath the door of the apartment.

Suarez was discovered in the bathroom while Mr. Morris was found in the bedroom.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

The case is now in the hands of the Las Heras prosecutor’s office.

The Department of Foreign Affairs has confirmed to TheJournal.ie that an incident took place in Las Heras. The department is now providing consular assistance to the family.

Read: This Yves Saint Laurent ad was banned for using an ‘unhealthily underweight’ model

Read: Tour operator apologises to parents of children killed by faulty boiler

Read next:

COMMENTS (4)