#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 14°C Saturday 16 October 2021
Advertisement

Largest demonstrations yet as thousands rally in Myanmar against military coup

UN special rapporteur Tom Andrews warned that reports of soldiers being brought into Yangon could lead to the situation there spiralling out of control.

Demonstrators gather in the capital Yangon earlier today
Demonstrators gather in the capital Yangon earlier today
Image: STR/PA Images

MYANMAR’S ANTI-COUP protesters returned to the streets in force today with the biggest street demonstrations since troops fanned out around the country to quell opposition to the new military junta.

Thousands of people rallied in Yangon, the nation’s biggest city, with protesters blockading roads with vehicles to stop security forces from moving around the commercial capital.

Much of the country has been in open revolt since troops deposed Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi’s government at the start of the month and charged her under an obscure import law.

Today’s crowds came in defiance of more violent efforts by the regime to bring resistance to heel, following nationwide street protests and a disobedience campaign encouraging civil servants to strike.

“We have to fight until the end,” Nilar, a 21-year-old student who asked not to use her real name, told AFP.

“We need to show our unity and strength to end military rule. People need to come out on the streets.”

Demonstrations over the past two days had been noticeably smaller since troops were deployed around Yangon on the weekend.

But social media platforms were flooded with calls for a show of force by protesters in the hours before the junta imposed a third consecutive overnight internet blackout.

UN special rapporteur Tom Andrews warned that reports of soldiers being brought into Yangon could lead to the situation there spiralling out of control.

“I fear that Wednesday has the potential for violence on a greater scale in Myanmar than we have seen since the illegal takeover of the government on February 1,” Andrews said in a statement.

“We could be on the precipice of the military committing even greater crimes against the people of Myanmar.”

There were no signs of a strong troop presence mobilised in Yangon this morning.

In recent days rubber bullets, tear gas and even slingshots have been used against protesters.

One young woman remains in a critical condition in the capital Naypyidaw after being shot in the head last week.

The military said a police officer had died in Mandalay after a confrontation with protesters on Sunday.

“Those who committed lawless action on the police officer will be dealt with as necessary,” an army statement said.

New charge for Suu Kyi

The military justified its power seizure by alleging widespread voter fraud in November elections won by Suu Kyi’s party in a landslide.

After her detention in a dawn raid on 1 February, Suu Kyi was charged for possessing unregistered walkie-talkies found in her home.

The Nobel laureate’s lawyer told AFP yesterday she had been hit with a second charge, of violating the country’s disaster management law.

Further details of the new charge have not been made public.

The disaster management law has also been used against deposed president Win Myint for an election campaign event that the junta claims broke coronavirus restrictions.

Khin Maung Zaw added that Suu Kyi and Win Myint, both of whom he has yet to have any contact with, were expected to appear via video link during a 1 March trial.

But he said there were signs Suu Kyi had already made an appearance in court on Tuesday, without his presence.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

Andrews described the court proceedings as a “secretive trial”.

‘Staying at their houses’

Military spokesman Zaw Min Tun said yesterday that both Suu Kyi and Win Myint were in a “safer place” and “in good health”.

“It’s not like they were arrested — they are staying at their houses,” the general told a press conference.

More than 450 people have been arrested since the coup, according to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners monitoring group.

There are unconfirmed reports of many other arrests.

Western powers and the United Nations have repeatedly condemned the leaders of Myanmar’s new military administration, which insists it took power lawfully.

China had initially not criticised the coup, which Chinese state media described as a “cabinet reshuffle”.

However Beijing’s ambassador to Myanmar said yesterday that the current situation in the country was “absolutely not what China wants to see”.

So far, only Washington has announced targeted sanctions against the generals, calling on them to relinquish power.

© AFP 2021

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel