Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Live BlogUpdated 1.55pm
POLICE IN NORTHERN Ireland have given more details about the a van left under the main Belfast to Dublin road near Newry that they say contained a “sophisticated” 500lb bomb.
The device was stored inside a wheelie bin and was “substantial and sophisticated” according to the Police Service of Northern Ireland’s (PSNI) chief superintendent Alistair Robinson who gave a press conference this afternoon, BBC reports.
The van containing the bomb was said to have been stolen from Maynooth in Co Kildare in January.
Robinson also said it may have been destined for a town centre where it could have caused huge devastation and loss of life.
The PSNI confirmed earlier that the A1 road was reopened shortly after 2am after several controlled explosions were carried out on the vehicle overnight.
The bomb was bigger than the 300lb device which exploded outside a Newry court house last year and caused extensive damage.
The A1 road had been partially closed since Thursday night because of the security alert.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say