TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 13 °C Tuesday 2 September, 2014

Explosion at major Moscow airport kills dozens

Dozens of people, including at least five foreigners, killed in today’s suspected suicide bomb attack on busy Domodedovo Airport.

Image: AP Photo/Ivan Sekretarev

Updated at 20:15

AT LEAST THIRTY-FIVE PEOPLE have been killed in a suspected suicide bomb attack at Domodedovo Airport outside Moscow, according to  Russia Today.

The victims include people from Britain, France, Serbia and Italy.

Around 130 people are injured, and around half of those are described as being in critical condition. Emergency services are providing medical and psychological support to the survivors and families of the victims.

A spokesperson for the airport - the Russian capital’s busiest airport - said the explosion happened in the general access area of the arrivals hall.

LifeNews says the explosion happened at around 4.30pm local time (1.30pm Irish time), and a suicide bomber is believed to have been involved. It says Russia’s Investigation Committee has dispatched a forensic team to the airport.

A video taken inside the airport immediately after the explosion shows bodies lying on the ground and passengers slowly evacuating from the smoke-filled building (warning: contains graphic images).

Flights at Domodedovo have been delayed, and the Interfax news agency says that security is being stepped up at two other main Moscow airports, Vnukovo and Sheremetyevo Airports. Both airports are prepared to received diverted flights from Domodedovo.

The Interfax news agency said everyone entering a Russian airport is being checked by security.

Some flights have been cancelled, but the airport is continuing to operate this evening. Commuter trains for people leaving Domodedovo Airport are now free, and a number of taxi drivers have reportedly been offering people free fares into the city.

Reuters reports that Islamic rebels in the volatile North Caucasus had warned they would extend their bombing campaign ahead of next year’s presidential elections. Last March, two female suicide bombers from the unstable Dagestan region killed 40 people in an attack on two metro stationsin Moscow.

Russia’s President Medvedev cancelled his trip to the Davos Economic Forum today, where he was due to be the keynote speaker.

In a public address this afternoon, Medvedev said security on all major public transport hubs was being increased and said that laws added after last year’s bombings are clearly not working as they should, and will be reviewed. He said those responsible for the bombing would be tracked down and punished.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (1 Comment)

Add New Comment