TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 7 °C Wednesday 22 October, 2014

Men who gang-raped photojournalist sentenced to death in Mumbai

Three men have been sentenced to death, a fourth to life in prison.

Police officials escort one of the four convicts in the case to court
Police officials escort one of the four convicts in the case to court
Image: Rajanish Kakade/AP/Press Association Images

AN INDIAN COURT has sentenced to death three men who raped a photojournalist inside an abandoned textile mill last year in Mumbai, India’s biggest city.

A fourth defendant was sentenced to life in prison, prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said. He said he asked for the death sentence under a strict anti-rape law introduced following public outrage over a fatal gang rape in New Delhi in 2012.

“This is the first case in India in which the death penalty has been given to convicts while the victim is alive,” Nikam said.

The three men were also found guilty last month of raping a call-centre operator at the same abandoned mill in July 2013, a month before the attack on the photojournalist. Nikam described the three as habitual offenders.

Judge Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi said the offence was diabolical in nature and the punishment would send a strong message to Indian society.

New penalties

India increased penalties for sex crimes and moved rape trials faster through its notoriously slow justice system after a 23-year-old medical student died after being gang-raped on a moving bus in the capital. Four men were sentenced to death in the New Delhi case. The trials in New Delhi and Mumbai cases were completed within seven months.

The four men sentenced in the case in Mumbai, formerly known as Bombay, can appeal their conviction in an appeals court within three months.

Also today, 24 men were sentenced to prison for raping a teenager who was abducted in Kerala state in 1996. A court had acquitted all but one defendant in 2005, but India’s top court ordered a retrial last year. It was completed in six months, prosecutor Anella George said.

One man was sentenced to life in prison and 23 others to 7 to 11 years, George said.

The 16-year-old victim was abducted and raped in homes, hotels, cars and public buses over one and a half months. The men convicted in Ernakulam town included a retired professor, lawyers, businessmen and government officials.

Read: Grandmother ‘frozen alive’ in hospital body bag, family claims

Read: Michael Schumacher is having ‘moments of consciousness and awakening’

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (49 Comments)

Add New Comment