This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 14 °C Tuesday 16 October, 2018
Advertisement

Russia warns citizens against visiting Britain in wake of terror attack

A total of 10 people have now been arrested in connection with the attack.

Updated 3pm

RUSSIAN AUTHORITIES HAVE warned citizens against visiting Britain after London raised its threat level in the wake of the Manchester suicide attack.

“The Russian embassy in Great Britain recommends Russian citizens refrain from travelling to the country, especially from visiting major cities, if such trips are not absolutely necessary,” Russia’s state tourism agency said in a statement.

“This is due to the fact that the government of Great Britain has raised the level of the terrorist threat in the country to the maximum possible,” it said.

The agency called on Russians to “take the warnings as seriously as possible” and ordered tour operators to inform their clients about the threat level in the UK.

British police are currently hunting for a jihadist network believed to behind the deadly bombing of in Manchester that killed 22 people.

Searches and arrests

In total, ten people have been arrested by police as part of their investigation. They include:

  • A 24-year-old man arrested Wednesday in the Fallowfield area
  • A 21-year-old man arrested Wednesday in the Fallowfield area
  • An 18-year-old man arrested Wednesday in the Fallowfield area
  • A 33-year-old man arrested on Wednesday in the Wigon area
  • A 22 year-old man arrested on Wednesday in the Nuneaton area
  • A 34-year-old woman arrested on Wednesday in the Blackley area
  • A 38-year-old man arrested yesterday in the Blackley area
  • A 16-year-old boy arrested yesterday in the Withington area
  • A 30-year-old man arrested today in the Moss Side area.

All except the 34-year-old woman and the 16-year-old boy remain in custody today.

Greater Manchester Police earlier searched an address in Moss Side in connection with the attack and another in the St Helen’s area of Merseyside.

One of the men in custody is believed to be Ismail Abedi, the brother of the bomber, Salman Abedi.

In a series of statements this morning, Greater Manchester Police has been keen to stress that they are working on a “fast-moving investigation and [they] are keeping an open mind at this stage”.

The MI5 domestic security service is managing around 500 active investigations, involving some 3,000 “subjects of interest”, the senior government ministry source said.

“Abedi was one of a larger pool of former SOIs whose risk remained subject to review by MI5 and its partners,” he said.

Abedi

University dropout Abedi, 22, grew up in a Libyan family that reportedly fled to Manchester to escape the now-fallen regime of Libyan dictator Moamer Kadhafi.

His father Ramadan and younger brother Hashem have been detained in Libya, with officials there saying the brother was aware of the planned attack.

They said both brothers belonged to the Islamic State group, while the father once belonged to a now-disbanded militant group with alleged ties to Al-Qaeda.

Libya said it was working closely with Britain to identify possible “terrorist networks” involved.

Libyan officials said Abedi’s brother Hashem had been under surveillance for six weeks and that investigators had information he was planning “a terrorist attack” in Tripoli.

A relative told AFP that Abedi had travelled to Manchester from Libya four days before the bombing.

German police said he made a brief stopover at Duesseldorf airport, while a Turkish official said he had transited through Istanbul airport without saying where he was travelling from.

With reporting from AFP - © – AFP, 2017 and Michelle Hennessy.

Read: Fake news, Facebook and Donald Trump: Why do just a quarter of Irish people trust the media?

Read: Manchester bomber ‘asked his mother for forgiveness in final phone call’

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Sean Murray

Read next:

COMMENTS (22)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel

     

    Trending Tags