WANT TO KNOW what’s going on in Leinster House today?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
Three things we’ll be keeping an eye on:
- This being Thursday, it’s Eamon Gilmore‘s turn today at Leader’s Questions. The Tánaiste will be on his feet in the Dáil at midday. The week’s news has been dominated by the flood crisis in Limerick and Cork and what’s being done to help those affected — so we can probably expect at least a few well-composed questions on that issue.
- Topical Issues happens at 4.42pm this afternoon (set your alarms). As usual, a selection of TDs will be airing their views and posing questions on issues of concern to their constituents and the wider electorate. What’s coming up today? Later on, the details will be posted here.
- The issue of plain pack cigarettes will be the main focus of the Joint Committee on Health and Children when it meets at 9.30am. The panel of TDs and senators will hear from groups like the Royal College of Physicians and doctors’ union the IMO this morning. At 11.45am, newsagents and other retail groups will have their say on the planned changes.
Everything else happening in the Dáil:
- Minister Alan Shatter kicks off the action once again from 9.30am. He was up yesterday too with his ‘Justice’ hat on (not an actual hat, mind) — this morning, it’s all about ‘Defence‘, so expect plenty of questions on the Defence Forces’ current activities and other related matters.
- Next item on the agenda at 10.45am is the County Enterprise Boards (Dissolution) Bill, which (you guessed it) provides for the dissolution of the county enterprise boards. Their functions are being transferred to Enterprise Ireland.
- From 12.21pm, afternoon business includes more work on the above bill, a motion on European Small Claims Procedure and the Roads Bill 2014 (which provides for the dissolution of the Railway Procurement Aganency and the transfer of its functions to the National Roads Authority).
- The Dáil adjourns at 5.30pm.
Everything happening in the Seanad:
Nothing happening in the upper chamber today.
Why not? Here’s why.
Everything else happening in the committees:
The Joint Committee on the Implementation of the Good Friday Agreement meets at 10.15am. Amongst the issues today: “the application of patients’ rights in cross-border healthcare”. [Committee Room 4]
The business of the Dublin Docklands Development Authority will be the focus of the Public Accounts Committee at 10am. [Room 1]
And at 2pm, the sub-committee on communications, energy and natural resources discusses the ESB (Electronic Communications Networks) Bill 2013. [Room 4]
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today:
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here
Like politics? Then why not ‘Like’ TheJournal.ie’s Politics page?
Explainer: How does a Bill become a law?