EACH WEEKDAY EVENING, TheJournal.ie brings five things we think you should know before you head out the door…
1. #RACE FOR THE ÁRAS It’s been another busy day for David Norris who has today been attempting to lobby support from the Oireachtas in order to be on the ballot for the presidential election. One former Olympian has backed him but other TDs and Senators will not, leaving the Trinity scholar short of numbers. Here’s the latest.
2. #ECONOMY Some good news amidst the economic turmoil engulfing Europe presently, Ireland’s own economy grew by 1.6 per cent in the second quarter according to the latest figures from the CSO. Only Estonia did better among the EU states.
3. #STEM CELLS Seriously ill Irish patients have been travelling abroad for stem cell treatments on the false promise that their conditions will improve. And it’s a growing problem, one doctor has told TheJournal.ie.
4. #ITALY Anyone accused of breaking copyright laws in Italy could be banned from the internet under a new law being proposed by prime minister Silvio Berlusconi’s party. It’s proving so controversial that the EU has waded in.
5. #OLYMPICS The Olympic torch is coming to Ireland next year with a symbolic crossing of the border at Newry to celebrate 14 years of peace in Northern Ireland. Here’s where you will be able to find it on our shores next summer.