EVERY WEEKDAY EVENING, TheJournal.ie brings you five things you need to know before you head out the door…
1. #BONDHOLDERS: Finance Minister Michael Noonan has reassured an audience of German bankers that Ireland will fully repay senior bondholders in its banks – once again ruling out private sector ‘burden-sharing’ on the senior bonds.
2. #MR AMBASSADOR: The US Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney has refused to confirm reports that he will step down shortly, saying there is “no specific date for departure” and that his post in Dublin is “extremely rewarding work”.
3. #CYPRUS: Air traffic controllers on the island of Cyprus have walked off the job for four hours to protest a wage freeze. The shutdown has affected thousands of passengers including holidaymakers, but it’s thought no direct flights to Ireland were involved.
4. #TOLLS: There will be no new tolls on Irish roads, transport minister Leo Varadkar has insisted – rejecting speculation that further levies would be introduced. However, existing ones may still increase.
5. #BYE BYE: The Office creator Ricky Gervais has said he will never host another awards show after his Golden Globes gig, writing on his blog: “Thank f*** that’s over.”