This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 18 °C Thursday 13 August, 2020
Advertisement

Aaron Alexis entered Navy Yard with a shotgun

The FBI has released more information about the Washington DC shooting.

The flag flies at half-staff at the front entrance of the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base in Fort Worth, Texas.
The flag flies at half-staff at the front entrance of the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base in Fort Worth, Texas.
Image: LM Otero/AP/Press Association Images

THE FBI BELIEVES that the deceased suspect in the Washington DC Navy Yard massacre was armed with a shotgun when he entered Building 197.

Investigators told reporters today that Aaron Alexis may have gained access to another handgun once inside the facility and after he began shooting.

Speaking at a press briefing today, Assistant Director in Charge Valerie Parlave reiterated that the 34-year-old had legitimate access to the Navy Yard as a result of his work as a contractor, and he used a valid pass to gain entry.

She noted that there had been much speculation in the media about the weapons used in the attack. Cautioning against citing unofficial sources, she said that the FBI does not have any information that he had an AR-15 in his possession.

Reports had suggested that he took two handguns from officers during the horrific incident.

Alexis shot dead 12 people before being killed in a shoot-out with police.

Probing his past

The FBI is currently probing Alexis’s past and current contacts, which has turned the investigation into a multi-state one, given the man lived in a number of cities over the past two decades.

“We continue to conduct interviews, exploit digital media, and run down every lead we can to piece together his recent movements and to determine the motive behind this attack,” continued Parlave.

Detectives have determined that the Texas resident arrived in the Washington, DC area on or about 25 August, and he has stayed at local hotels in the area since that time.

He moved into the Residence Inn in the city’s southwest on 7 September. An appeal has been made for anybody who came into contact with the suspect during the past 10 days to contact the FBI.

Hundreds of tips have already been made by members of the public with many being followed up by officers in various cities across the US.

Much has been said today about the suspect’s past activities but Parlave insisted the FBI could not comment any further other than saying they continue to look into his medical and criminal histories.

image

The FBI’s appeal poster looking for information about the deceased suspect.

Read: More details of ‘horrific’ Washington Navy Yard shooting emerge

Related: Washington Navy Yard shooter was former serviceman, police confirm

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (18)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel