We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Seamus Culleton

Lawyers for Seamus Culleton say they've won a temporary halt to his deportation from the US

A law firm representing him said that it’s determined to secure the Kilkenny man’s release.

SEAMUS CULLETON’S LAWYERS have said that they’ve won a temporary stay on his deportation from the US, meaning the Irish man can remain in the country for at least the next fortnight.

Court filings seen by The Journal show that Culleton submitted an emergency motion with the first circuit court of the US Court of Appeals against his deportation last Friday, listing US attorney general Pam Bondi as a defendant.

The court granted a stay on Culleton’s deportation for ten business days on the same date, giving the US government a chance to respond during that time.

It means that Culleton may not be deported until at least early March.

The BOS Legal Group in Massachusetts said in a statement that they are determined to secure the Kilkenny man’s release and reunite him with his wife.

The firm added that a court has ordered the US government to file its response on the case which is “due in the coming days”.

“We are committed to advocating for Culleton’s right to remain in the United States based on legal merits of his case,” a statement from the law firm said.

“Our focus is on reuniting him with his spouse and ensuring that justice is served within the bounds of our laws.”

The firm said Culleton has resided in the United States for nearly two decades and “has no criminal entries” since living in the US.

“Culleton is married to a US citizen, presents no public safety concerns, and has strong familial and community ties in the United States,” the firm continued, adding that he has been separated from his wife Tiffany for over five months.

Culleton (38) was at a Home Depot store in Boston when US Immigration and Customs Enforcement – better known as ICE – agents detained him.

It emerged last week that Culleton, who has lived in the US for 20 years and is married to a US citizen, had a number of interactions with the justice system in Ireland before he moved to the US.

One incident involved the alleged possession for sale or supply of MDMA (ecstasy) and an attempt to get rid of the drugs when being searched by gardaí in 2008. He was charged with obstruction but did not appear in court and a bench warrant was issued for his arrest in April 2009, after he had moved to the US.

Separately, another bench warrant was issued for Culleton’s arrest after he failed to appear in court when facing criminal damage charges in September 2007.

In its statement today, BOS Legal Group said that it will “not be commenting on personal or family matters unrelated to legal representation at this time”.

Contains reporting by Stephen McDermott.

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Close
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds