We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Richard Boyd Barrett at the National March for Palestine in Dublin. Bairbre Holmes/PA

Israeli team playing in Ireland could spark 'enormous' protests, says TD

People Before Profit leader Richard Boyd Barrett said he hoped the match would not go ahead.

“ENORMOUS PROTESTS” COULD take place if Israel were to play a football match in Dublin, Richard Boyd Barrett said.

The People Before Profit leader was speaking at the start of the National March for Palestine in Dublin city centre today.

The Republic of Ireland were drawn in a group with Israel as part of the Uefa Nations League last week. The two teams are due to play each other in the autumn: the away leg on 27 September and the home game on 4 October.

The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) said Ireland will fulfil the fixtures.

Boyd Barrett said he hopes they will not go ahead, saying: “Uefa should do the right thing. The FAI should do the right thing.

“But ultimately, if the match goes ahead in Ireland, I think there will be absolutely enormous protests because I think that decision would not reflect the views of the Irish people”.

He added it is “not unique” to see sporting sanctions imposed on nations involved in conflicts, or who have been internationally condemned for their actions.

“There were sanctions against apartheid South Africa, there’s been sanctions against Russia for what it’s doing in Ukraine, there were sanctions against Yugoslavia for what it was doing against Kosovo.

“So why is there not sanctions against Israel for the crimes it’s committing against Palestinians?”

The Dún Laoghaire TD said it is “important” to boycott Israel so it is not “normalised”.

He said: “Boycotting Israel and casting it out of the community of nations, whether it’s football or other areas, is a way that we can actually impose some sanction on Israel for the crimes it’s committing.”

On Sunday, Simon Harris said Ireland’s football team would be “losing out” if matches against Israel were boycotted.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio, he said: “We have to recognise, though, when it comes to soccer, and when it comes to the Irish soccer team, not doing anything would actually disadvantage the team and wouldn’t have any effect at all on Israel.”

Speaking last Friday, the Taoiseach also said the games should go ahead.

Micheál Martin said the Irish Government had “opposed very strongly” Israeli Government policy within Gaza, but said “people have to distinguish between the government of Israel and its policies and the people of Israel”.

He said there should not be security issues for the game in Ireland and the “team should be allowed play”.

It is understood the FAI is involved in ongoing discussions regarding security and logistics issues relating to the proposed game with Israel in Dublin on 4 October. 

Minister of State for European Affairs and Defence Thomas Byrne similarly said he doesn’t blame Israeli footballers for the actions of their government in Gaza and thinks the match should go ahead.

Close
78 Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

    Leave a commentcancel

     
    JournalTv
    News in 60 seconds