This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 8 °C Friday 18 October, 2019
Advertisement

Carrickmines survivors are now living in this car park

It’s located at Ballyogan Road in South Dublin.

PastedImage-93919 File photo of the new site. Source: Screenshot via Google Maps

SURVIVORS OF THE Carrickmines fire that killed 10 people in South Dublin have moved into their new temporary site.

The site originally proposed at Rockville Drive saw local residents protest at the plans to relocate the families there.

However, as talks continued Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council was faced with the “unacceptable situation” where the Traveller families would have nowhere to live as of this weekend.

The families will instead be accommodated at a council-owned car park adjacent to the Ballyogan Works Depot, where they moved into this morning.

The council has bought three-bedroomed mobile homes for the families, with access to water and electricity. There is currently no sewage connection at the Ballyogan site.

This lack of full service meant there was “great reluctance” to accept the site, as Rockville Drive was fully serviced.

“The 15 people left homeless by the Carrickmines fire have now moved into the site provided for them by Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council on the Ballyogan Road in south Dublin,” a statement from the Southside Travellers group read.

Dublin travellers halting site fire A forensics officer walks past toys and flowers left at a halting site for travellers in Carrickmines. Source: Brian Lawless/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Southside Travellers’ Director Geraldine Dunne said yesterday that what the families needed most of all at this time was privacy to begin the difficult process of rebuilding their lives.

The families have appealed for privacy.

Thomas and Sylvia Connors and their three children Jim (5), Christy (3) and baby Mary (5 months) were laid to rest in Wexford earlier this week.

Their four-year-old son Tom was released from hospital on Wednesday.

Dublin travellers halting site fire funerals Source: Brian Lawless/PA Wire

The funeral service for Willie Lynch, his partner Tara Gilbert, their two children Jodie (9) and Kelsey (4), and Willie’s brother Jimmy Lynch (39) took place in Bray, Co Wicklow, on Tuesday.

A source close to the investigation into the Carrickmines fire has told the Sunday Independent that the blaze is believed to have been started accidentally.

Evidence usually associated with arson was reportedly not found at the site, and investigators are focusing on possible electrical or gas causes.

Read: “We’re going ‘mother of God, how are we going to survive in this country?’” >

More: Accommodation for Carrickmines survivors found – but NOT in Rockville Drive >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Nicky Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (84)