#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 14°C Monday 23 May 2022
Advertisement

Man charged with murder of prison officer killed in car bomb attack

Christopher Robinson had earlier faced a charge of attempted murder.

Adrian Ismay
Adrian Ismay
Image: PSNI

POLICE IN NORTHERN Ireland have charged a man in connection with the murder of a prison officer.

Adrian Ismay was first injured when a bomb exploded under his van in east Belfast on 4 March.

The 52-year-old, who was a father to three daughters, died from his injuries earlier this week.

After the attack he had been released from hospital and reportedly was making good progress before succumbing to his injuries 11 days after the attack.

The BBC has reported that a post-mortem determined that his death had come as a direct result of his injuries.

In a statement today, Officer Detective Chief Inspector Richard Campbell said that the charge against 45-year-old Christopher Robinson had been changed from a charge of attempted murder to a charge of murder.

The attack was claimed by a group calling itself the New IRA, who said that Ismay was one of a number of targets.

A second post-mortem on Adrian Ismay is set to take place.

- Comments have been turned off on this article as legal proceedings are ongoing. 

Read: ‘A day of profound sadness’: The prison officer targeted in Belfast bomb attack has died

Also: Belfast prison officer Adrian Ismay was murdered by a car bomb

Read next:

COMMENTS