Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

A model of the proposed Children's Hospital. Leon Farrell/Photocall Ireland
National Children's Hospital

Children's Hospital board 'committed to working with review group' over project

An Bord Pleanála refused planning permission for the National Children’s Hospital project last week.

THE BOARD OF the Children’s Hospital of Ireland says it is committed to working with the review group announced by the Minister for Health following An Bord Pleanála’s refusal to grant planning permission for the construction of a new national children’s hospital.

The application concerned the construction of the new hospital on the site of the Mater Hospital in Dublin.

Delivering its decision last Thursday, the planning board said that the proposed building would be a “dominant, visually incongruous structure” which would have “a profound negative impact on the appearance and visual amenity of the city skyline”.

In a statement, the Children’s Hospital board said that it met today to discussion the planning decision.

“The function of the board is to implement government policy in respect of the establishment of a new Children’s Hospital as a co-located facility,” the hospital board said, adding that it is committed to working “closely with and assisting” the review group established by Minister James Reilly and led by Dr Frank Dolphin.

The review group is being set up to look into the planning decision and to make recommendations on the next steps the project should take. Announcing the new body last week, Reilly said that the group would operate “with great urgency and immediacy”. The minister said that An Bord Pleanála’s decision was a delay, but not an end to the hospital project.

Read: Planning board refuses permission for new National Children’s Hospital >

Reilly: delay to hospital construction will be made up ‘very quickly’ >

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
13
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.