Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Kinsale

Fire station's emergency response delayed by cars parked on the side of the road

A spokesperson for the Kinsale Fire Station said that the problem worsens during the summer months.

FOUR UNITS OF a fire brigade were delayed in responding to reports of a fire in Cork earlier today due to cars parked by the side of the road.

Kinsale Fire Station attempted to respond to reports of a fire, but said it was “madness” to get down to the scene of the incident, which occurred at the Shearwater apartment block along the quays.

A spokesperson for the Kinsale Fire Station told TheJournal.ie that ever since a SuperValu opened on the same road as the fire station, they have had difficulties responding to calls, as people park their cars along the stretch of the road that they share.

Kinsale Cars parked The Glen, New Road, Kinsale where the Fire Station and SuperValu are located. Picture taken from Google Maps, before the SuperValu was built. Google Maps Google Maps

The spokesperson said that this is a particular problem during the summer months when demand increases, and that the matter will be brought to the attention of Cork County Council.

SuperValu Kinsale, which is owned and run by the Smith family, is situated 270 metres away from the fire station.

A member of SuperValu Kinsale’s management team was unavailable for comment.

Kinsale Fire Station Google Maps Google Maps

No one was injured in the incident at the apartment block, but a lot of smoke damage was caused as smoke had been gathering in the apartment while the owner was away.

It is thought that the cause of the incident was an electrical fault.

Read: Three people killed and thousands evacuated from homes as fire engulfs small tourist island of Madeira

Read: Girl rescued off the Cork coast after her inflatable dinghy floats out to sea

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
19
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.