#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 9°C Monday 27 September 2021
Advertisement

Background information on Jill Meagher accused to be suppressed

The material must not be published online or elsewhere, said a Melbourne court.

A candle burns during a memorial mass for Jill Meagher
A candle burns during a memorial mass for Jill Meagher
Image: Julien Behal/WPA-Rota/Press Association Images

AN AUSTRALIAN COURT has ordered the suppression of any background information on Adrian Ernest Bayley, the man accused of murdering Irish woman Jill Meagher.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland this morning, Hamish Fitzsimmons of Australia’s ABC explained that the defence team for the accused in this case had asked for the suppression of any background information about the Bayley.

Sky News Australia reports that Deputy Chief Magistrate Felicity Broughton refused an application to suppress an image of Bayley, as neither the prosecution or defence believed its publication would prejudice the case.

Fitzsimmons said that there was the possibility that any future legal action “could be clouded” by the publication of background material about Bayley on the internet and any other publication.

He said there had been debate across Australia about the publication of this sort of material and whether it can be regulated.

Facebook was asked by Australian police to take down a page containing offensive material about Bayley earlier this month.

Fitzsimmons said that any media or or any individual who publishes background information on Bayley could be found in contempt of court.

Bayley is to appear before a committal hearing in Melbourne on 18 January 2013.

Comments on this article have been disabled as court proceedings have begun.

Read: Thousands march in memory of Jill Meagher>

Read next:

COMMENTS