We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

File photo Niall Carson/PA Images

Man arrested after two people stabbed at under-16s GAA match in Tyrone released on police bail

The incident happened at a sports ground on Covent Road in Cookstown yesterday evening.

A MAN ARRESTED after two people were stabbed at an under-16s GAA match in Co Tyrone yesterday evening has been released on police bail. 

The incident happened at a sports ground on Covent Road in Cookstown. 

Cookstown Fr Rocks were playing Fintona Pearses in an Under-16s match. 

PSNI officers and members from the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service attended the scene after two people sustained stab wounds. 

One man was taken to hospital and the second injured person received treatment at the scene.

A 42-year-old man was arrested following the incident. He has since been released on police bail to allow for further enquiries, the PSNI said.

Earlier, the PSNI urged anyone who may have witnessed the incident or who may have footage that could assist the investigation to contact them on 101 quoting reference 1960 of 06/07/23.

Cookstown Fr Rocks said in a statement that its “thoughts are with the individuals impacted” by the incident. 

“The committee will now work to ensure that children and young people who witnessed this disturbing and very serious incident have the support and assistance that they require in the coming days,” it said. 

Fintona Pearses said in a statement that it is “aware of a serious incident that occured” at the match. 

“Our thoughts are with those impacted and all focus is on the welfare of the children and young people present,” it said. 

The GAA said in a statement today that it “condemns in the strongest terms possible the incident that marred an underage game in Tyrone last night leaving two people injured”. 

“As an organisation we have a duty of care to protect our volunteer officials and the events that unfolded in Cookstown are totally unacceptable,” it said. 

The GAA said it will work with the PSNI and its units, at both county and club level, “to establish the facts around what occurred”. 

“In the meantime, we extend our best wishes to those who were injured in the incident,” it said. 

The GAA added that any support required for its underage players and members will be provided. 

SDLP sports spokesperson Justin McNulty has said “everyone is shocked at hearing about this appalling incident”. 

“The GAA is at the heart of so many communities the length and breadth of Ireland and people will be horrified at what has taken place here,” McNulty said. 

“Spectators, players and officials should be able to attend and participate in matches without being subjected to something like this,” he said. 

“My thoughts are with the two men who were injured and I hope they make a quick and full recovery,” he said, adding that he’s “also concerned about the young players and spectators who will have witnessed this incident”. 

“I trust and know that the GAA locally will do everything they can to support those who’ve been impacted to help them to overcome what must have been a very frightening and traumatic experience,” he said. 

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.