#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Friday 20 May 2022
Advertisement

Man charged after 'walking most of the Channel Tunnel'

A spike in the numbers of migrants trying to make the crossing has become a sensitive political issue in Britain.

Image: Gareth Fuller

A SUDANESE MAN has been charged by British Police after allegedly walking most the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to enter the UK.

The man was only spotted on CCTV around 1,000 yards from the Folkestone exit in Kent on Tuesday.

BBC reports that the man, named as Abdul Rahman Haroun was charged with causing an obstruction to an engine or carriage and will appear before Canterbury Crown Court on 24 August.

The tunnel’s operators, Eurotunnel, say that 550 migrants attempted to enter the tunnel last night and around 200 people had been removed.

Calais Calais: Migrant centres can be seen at A and B and the Eurotunnel can be seen at C.

A spike in the numbers of migrants trying to make the crossing has become a sensitive political issue in Britain, and the story was splashed across the front pages of today’s newspapers.

A spokesman for Britain’s Home Office said it had improved security by paying for more fencing at the French side and drafting in border guards and dogs.

“We continue to work closely with the French government and Eurotunnel to tackle the immediate pressures and longer-term issues involved in the situation in northern France,” the spokesman said.

Read: LÉ Niamh arrives in Sicily carrying 367 people saved by the Irish crew

Read: Riot police spray migrants with ‘chemical irritant’ as hundreds storm Channel Tunnel

Read next:

COMMENTS (27)