#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 6°C Monday 6 December 2021
Advertisement

Nato apologises for the death of Afghan civilians in air strike

Women, children and village elders were killed in a pre-dawn raid aiming to capture a Taliban operative earlier this week.

Elderly men sit with the covered bodies of three children killed the strike
Elderly men sit with the covered bodies of three children killed the strike
Image: AP Photo/Ihsanullah Majroh

THE COMMANDER OF US and Nato forces in Afghanistan has apologised for civilian deaths in a coalition airstrike earlier this week.

Marine General John Allen flew to Logar province on Friday to personally deliver his regrets to villagers and provincial officials for the deaths of women, children and village elders in Wednesday’s pre-dawn raid to capture a Taliban operative. Afghan officials have said the airstrike that was called in by Nato troops during the operation killed 18 civilians.

General Allen told the Afghans they “have my apology and we will do the right thing by the families.”

It was the first confirmation by Nato forces that civilians were killed.

An Afghan doctor who examined the bodies and interviewed witnesses said insurgents prevented the civilians from leaving the house during the fighting.

Read: Afghan civilians killed in suicide bombings and NATO airstrike – report

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (23)