We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Rescue workers carry a person from a residential building Alamy

'Putin gave his terrorist response' to US peace plan, says Kyiv after Russian attack kills six

The barrage of missiles and drones targeted the country’s beleaguered energy sector.

LAST UPDATE | 25 Nov 2025

UKRAINE SAYS A Russian overnight attack on the capital Kyiv that killed six people was Moscow’s “terrorist response” to diplomatic efforts to find an end to the war.

Russian President Vladimir “Putin gave his terrorist response to the United States’ and President (Donald) Trump’s peace proposals. With a barrage of missiles and drones against Ukraine,” Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said on social media.

In Kyiv, journalists heard powerful explosions and saw people running for shelters as air raid sirens blared.

firefighters-put-out-the-fire-after-a-drone-hit-a-multi-storey-residential-building-during-russias-night-drone-attack-in-kyiv-ukraine-tuesday-nov-25-2025-ap-photoefrem-lukatsky Firefighters put out the fire after a drone hit a multi-storey residential building Alamy Alamy

local-residents-react-as-they-watch-their-burning-home-after-a-drone-hit-a-multi-storey-residential-building-during-russias-night-drone-attack-in-kyiv-ukraine-tuesday-nov-25-2025-ap-photoefre Local residents react as they watch their burning home Alamy Alamy

The barrage of missiles and drones targeted the country’s beleaguered energy sector.

“We must be cognisant that Russia will not ease its pressure on Ukraine,” President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said as his air force issued a nationwide missile warning.

Zelenskyy has described his country as being in a “critical moment”, after last week saying Ukraine risked losing either its “dignity” or Washington as an ally.

Russian President Vladimir Putin, who welcomed the original US plan to end the fighting, has threatened to seize more Ukrainian territory if Kyiv walks away from the negotiations.

Russia’s military already occupies around a fifth of Ukraine – much of it ravaged by years of fighting.

Kyiv and its European allies say the war, the largest and deadliest on European soil since World War II, is an unprovoked and illegal land grab that has resulted in a tidal wave of violence and destruction.

Tens of thousands of civilians and military personnel have been killed since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Revised plan

Ukrainian, American and European officials met in Switzerland Sunday after the US proposal to halt the war was widely criticised as requiring too much capitulation.

A joint US-Ukrainian statement after the weekend talks announced an “updated and refined peace framework”.

While the latest draft has not been published, the White House hailed it as progress, and the joint statement affirmed “any future agreement must fully uphold Ukraine’s sovereignty”.

Kyiv’s delegation said the latest draft “already reflects most of Ukraine’s key priorities”.

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz has thrown doubt on the ability to strike a deal by Trump’s November 27 deadline, saying that discussions would be a “lengthy, long-lasting process”.

The United States had bypassed Europe with the original plan, and many EU governments were unsettled by the prospect of ending the war on Moscow’s terms.

The US plan, originally made up of 28 points, would see Ukraine effectively cede its eastern Donetsk and Lugansk regions to Russia and slash the size of its military — demands that Kyiv has described as unacceptable.

The White House has pushed back on criticism that Trump was favouring Russia.

“The idea that the United States of America is not engaging with both sides equally in this war to bring it to an end is a complete and total fallacy,” Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters on Monday.

A senior official told AFP the United States had pressed Ukraine to accept the proposal.

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Washington did not directly threaten to cut off aid if Kyiv rejected its proposals, but that Ukraine understood this was a distinct possibility.

The source said they did not understand why Washington was hurrying towards a deal, but that “everyone” was for an end to the war if there was a real opportunity to do so.

Author
View 48 comments
Close
48 Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

    Leave a commentcancel

     
    JournalTv
    News in 60 seconds