This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 16 °C Tuesday 14 August, 2018
Advertisement

Teen who brandished sword at Leinster House had 'no target in mind'

The 19-year-old unemployed male is to get bail after appearing in court today.

Leinster House, Dublin
Leinster House, Dublin
Image: Google Maps

TEENAGER JORDAN BUCKLEY, who was arrested after jumping over the main barrier at Leinster House with a sword yesterday afternoon, is to get bail.

The 19 year old appeared at the Dublin District Court today charged with the possession of a sword inside the gates of Leinster House.

Buckley, from Kells Road, Crumlin in Dublin and also with an address at Riversdale Grove, Kimmage, was charged under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act after he was detained at Pearse Street Garda Station.

Imprisonment

Arresting officer Garda Dwayne Conlon told the court that it was a “very serious” indictable offence which carried the maximum sentence of five years imprisonment.

Conlon said there were a number of eyewitnesses to what happened and there was CCTV footage of the incident, adding that Buckley had been “caught red-handed” in the act.

He said that due to the seriousness of the offence, the location of the incident and with Buckley being caught “red-handed” Garda Conlon said there were objections to bail.

Defence solicitor Paul Hannon told the court that the accused had no prior history of offences and clarified that he had co-operated with the gardaí upon his arrest.

He added that there was no evidence that drugs or alcohol had a part to play in the incident.

Unemployed

Hannon said the accused had been a full-time college student and was not working at present.

He told the court that the accused’s mother and step-father were present in court in support of Buckley and were anxious to assist in anyway they could.

The court was told Buckley had “no one particular person or target in mind” when he was arrested yesterday afternoon, with Garda Conlon stating “not one person, no”.

Judge Michael Walsh remanded Buckley in custody for a week with consent to bail on his bond of €750 with a cash lodgement of €250 to be made up front in order to be released.

The judge ordered Buckley, who was wearing blue jeans and a green vest top, to stay out of the Dublin 2 area and keep away from government buildings and departments, other than the social welfare offices.

As part of his bail conditions Buckley was told he must reside at his Kimmage address and sign on three times a week at a garda station.

He is to appear again on this day week.

Related: 19-year-old charged over “one in a million” sword incident at Leinster House>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS