This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 15 °C Wednesday 18 July, 2018
Advertisement

Two suicide bombs kill nearly 70 people in Yemen

At least 47 people were killed in Sanaa, while 20 soldiers are dead after a separate bombing.

A POWERFUL SUICIDE bombing ripped through the Yemeni capital of Sanaa today, killing at least 47 people, including children.

Dozens more were wounded in the attack in Sanaa’s Al-Tahrir square, which targeted a gathering for supporters of Shiite insurgents who overran the capital last month.

The health ministry said that a further 75 people were wounded.

Mideast Yemen Blood-stained sandals at the scene of the bombing in Sanaa Source: AP/Press Association Images

A separate suicide car bombing killed 20 soldiers in southeastern Yemen.

Al-Qaeda is believed to have been behind the attack, AFP reported.

Yemen has been wracked by political turmoil and sporadic violence since the 2011 uprising that toppled Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Mideast Yemen Yemeni security officials collect debris at the site of the suicide bombing in Sanaa Source: AP/Press Association Images

The bombing in Sanaa came a day after Yemen’s new prime minister designate, named as part of a UN-brokered peace deal, refused the post amid fierce rebel opposition.

Mideast Yemen A Yemeni security official inspects the bombing site in Sanaa Source: AP/Press Association Images

The United States strongly condemned the incident, describing it as a “despicable attack against civilians”.

“The Yemeni people have lived with senseless violence for far too long and the recent increase in hostilities against innocent civilians only undermines the progress Yemen has made in achieving meaningful reform since 2011,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.

Iran also expressed condolences over “this blind and inhuman act of terrorism”.

Additional reporting: AFP

Read: 43 dead in two days of drone attacks in Yemen

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Órla Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (15)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel