EVERY EVENING, TheJournal.ie brings you a roundup of the day’s main news – as well sa any bits and pieces you may have missed…
- Minister Seán Sherlock has been facing questions over his plans to introduce new online copyright measures which opponents have dubbed ‘SOPA Ireland’. Here’s what happened…
- The Government has announced detailed plans to reform the taxi industry, including a crackdown on renting out licenses and part-time drivers. Under the proposals, drivers could also be forced to resit ‘knowledge’ tests if too many passengers complain.
- The search for survivors aboard the Costa Concordia has been called off amid rising concerns over the capsized ship’s hull.
- Could College Green in Dublin become a landmark pedestrian plaza? Arts minister Jimmy Deenihan thinks so – and he’s compared his vision to Trafalgar Square in London and Times Square in New York.
- Staying with the capital for a moment: we’ve found this striking video showing how the Fair City looked in 1988. Go on, take the tour…
- There have been angry exchanges in the Dáil over the EU fiscal compact, with Enda Kenny accused of acting “like an eejit” by Sinn Féin’s Gerry Adams. Meanwhile, the final text emerged today – and may allow the Government to avoid a referendum.
- Wondering just what the hell has been going on in Europe over the past couple of years? Join the club. Luckily, David McWilliams is here with a handy video explaining the crisis in ‘punk economics’.
Barnum & Bailey Circus workers watch as an elephant exits a train car in Greenville, South Carolina (Rainier Ehrhardt/AP/Press Association Images)
- Also, Germany’s unemployment is at its lowest level for two decades. Well for some.
- The HQ of Facebook in Dublin is among those to be targeted next week by breastfeeding campaigners, who say numerous photos of breastfeeding have been removed from the site.
- US presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich is being sued… for playing Eye Of The Tiger at his campaign rallies.
- A valuable tabernacle with “very distinctive” Celtic designs has been stolen from a church in north Dublin.
- There’s a new low-cost mobile network. But if you’re older than 22, you’re out of luck.
- South Africa has recalled more than a million condoms after sexual health activists said they “leaked like sieves”.
- Wondering how to design your company logo? Let this five-year-old help.
- Wikileaks founder Julian Assange is set to guest star in The Simpsons – recording his vocals from house arrest in the UK.
- And finally: Nobody likes going to the dentist. But how much better would it be if your receipt was delivered by a dog?