This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 20 °C Monday 16 July, 2018
Advertisement

Massive manhunt underway for shooter who killed 39 people in Turkish nightclub

The so-called Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Family members and friends mourn as they attend funeral prayers for Ayhan Akin, one of the victims.
Family members and friends mourn as they attend funeral prayers for Ayhan Akin, one of the victims.
Image: AP/Press Association Images

Updated 8.50am

TURKISH POLICE ARE conducting a massive manhunt for a gunman who killed 39 people, mostly foreigners, in a rampage at an upmarket nightclub in Istanbul where revellers were celebrating the new year.

After the latest in a string of deadly attacks to hit the country, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the carnage sought to sow chaos, but vowed Turkey would never bow to the threat.

The shooting spree at the waterside Reina nightclub erupted when 2017 in Turkey was just 75 minutes old, as people were seeing out a year of unprecedented bloodshed that saw hundreds die in strikes blamed on jihadists and Kurdish militants and a failed coup.

The so-called Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack, a claim police are investigating.

The assailant shot dead a policeman and a civilian at the club entrance and then turned his gun on partygoers inside where up to 700 people were ringing in the New Year.

NTV broadcaster said the gunman fired between 120 and 180 rounds in the seven-minute attack, during which many revellers threw themselves into the freezing waters of the Bosphorus to escape death.

‘Our heart is bleeding’

One witness spoke of the panic and carnage at the venue, considered one of Istanbul’s most upmarket clubs.

“Just as we were settling down, by the door there was a lot of dust and smoke. Gunshots rang out,” professional footballer Sefa Boydas told AFP.

“People were walking on top of people.”

Italian tourist Maximilien said: “We came here to have a good time today but everything was suddenly transformed into chaos and a night of horror.”

Television pictures showed party-goers dressed to the nines — men in suits and women in cocktail dresses — emerging from the exclusive club in a state of shock.

Albert Farhat recounted to Lebanese TV station LBCI the moment the club came under attack.

“Around 1.15, we heard Kalashnikov fire. We thought it might be people who had drunk too much and were fighting but then people started throwing themselves to the ground,” said Farhat.

Candles and flowers piled up outside the club in tribute to the victims and its Facebook page has been changed to a black square of mourning.

“Our heart is bleeding,” wrote the club’s owner Mehmet Kocarslan.

The attack evoked memories of the November 2015 carnage in Paris when Islamic State jihadists unleashed a gun and bombing rampage on nightspots in the French capital, killing 130 people including 90 at the Bataclan concert hall.

Santa Claus costume

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said the gunman was still at large after slipping away unnoticed after the attack, denying earlier reports a Santa Claus costume had been used as a disguise.

The assailant “left the gun and went away from the scene of the incident”, he told reporters in Istanbul. “It was an armed terrorist.”

Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said the gunman had arrived with a gun concealed under an overcoat but subsequently exited the venue wearing a different garment.

Police and intelligence services were beginning to piece together clues about the attack and the public would be informed soon, Yildirim said.

The Firat news agency, seen as close to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), quoted PKK leader Murat Karayilan as saying no Kurdish force was involved in the attack.

The state-run Anadolu news agency, citing justice ministry sources, said 38 of the victims had been identified — 27 foreigners and 11 Turks with one body still unidentified.

Another 65 people were being treated in hospital.

One survivor, Francois al-Asmar, from Lebanon, told of his lucky escape.

“I was saved by my passport which I was carrying right near my heart,” he told Lebanese television.

© AFP 2017

Read: Irish people in Istanbul advised to ‘avoid crowded areas and exercise extreme caution’

Read: Turkey search for terrorist who killed 39 during New Year celebrations

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (15)