We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

One of the flotilla vessels intercepted by Israel on Tuesday. Global Sumud Flotilla

Some 430 Gaza flotilla activists being taken to Israel, foreign ministry says

Dr Margaret Connolly, the sister of President Catherine Connolly, is among 12 Irish citizens who were detained on Monday.

ISRAEL’S FOREIGN MINISTRY has said that 430 activists aboard a Gaza-bound aid flotilla are being taken to Israel, after their vessels were intercepted at sea.

The Global Sumud Flotilla said at least 10 of its 60 vessels were intercepted by Israeli naval forces just after 9am local time (7am Irish time) on Monday.

They were in international waters approximately 70 nautical miles off Cyprus. It was the latest attempt by activists to breach Israel’s blockade of the Palestinian territory, with the last convoy intercepted by Israeli forces last month.

Dr Margaret Connolly, the sister of President Catherine Connolly, is among 14 Irish citizens on board the flotilla that was detained by Israel in the Mediterranean on Monday

In a statement, Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said “another PR flotilla has come to an end”.

“All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives.”

The ministry added: “This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas.”

Taoiseach Micheál Martin and Tánaiste Simon Harris condemned the detention on Tuesday, with the Fine Gael leader saying Israel was “in breach of international law”. 

Foreign Affairs Minister Helen McEntee also condemned the move in a statement, saying Israel must ensure the safety, welfare and humane treatment of the Irish citizens “illegally detained in international waters”.

“In that context, I again call for their immediate release,” she said, adding that her department was actively engaging with the Israeli authorities “to secure immediate consular access and support for the Irish citizens involved.” 

She added: “We are also in direct contact with the families of those affected and with the flotilla organisers, and stand ready to provide all necessary consular assistance.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier denounced the flotilla as “a malicious scheme designed to break the blockade we have imposed on Hamas terrorists in Gaza”.

Around 50 ships had departed from southwestern Turkey last Thursday. A website tracking the flotilla’s location later showed several vessels being intercepted west of Cyprus.

Nine Indonesian citizens who were part of the flotilla “have all been reported arrested by Israel,” a spokeswoman for Indonesia’s foreign ministry said, citing information dated Wednesday.

Indonesia called on Israel to immediately release all vessels and crew members, adding that “every diplomatic channel and consular measure will continue to be fully utilised”.

Indonesian newspaper Republika earlier said two of its journalists were among the nine Indonesians detained.

Turkey and Spain have condemned the interception.

The United States on Tuesday sanctioned four people associated with the Global Sumud Flotilla and accused them of being “pro-terrorist”.

The flotilla organisers reject these claims. They said their mission was peaceful and aimed at challenging Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza, which has been in place since 2007. 

Aid into the region remains largely restricted despite a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, which has been in force since October.

According to the World Food Programme, at least 1.6 million people (77% of the population) in Gaza are facing high levels of acute food insecurity.

Israel, which controls all entry points into Gaza, denies withholding supplies from the occupied territory. 

With reporting from © AFP 2026 

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Close
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds