#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 17°C Sunday 1 August 2021

'It had a devastating impact': Two jailed for acid attack outside London grocery store

One of the victims lost 20% of his vision as a result of his injuries.

Kaha Miah was sentenced to nine years' detention for the attack.
Kaha Miah was sentenced to nine years' detention for the attack.

This article contains a graphic image of one of the victim’s injuries. 

TWO PEOPLE WHO were accused of throwing acid into the faces of two men outside a grocery store in the UK have been jailed for a total of 15 years.

Kaha Miah, 20, of Odessa Road, Forest Gate admitted two counts of applying a corrosive fluid with intent. He was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court today to nine years’ detention in a Young Offenders’ Institution for each count, to run concurrently.

A 16-year-old boy, from Newham, was convicted after a trial in October of two counts of applying a corrosive fluid with intent and having an offensive weapon. He was given six years’ detention in a Young Offenders’ Institution for each count, to run concurrently.

The court heard that on 20 March the two victims were staying at Neutron Towers on Blackwall Way with friends. From their window, they observed a group of youths jumping and kicking the cars outside, including their own.

The two men confronted the group of youths directly outside of the entrance to the Nisa Supermarket on Virgina Quay where a very brief conversation took place between the two victims and a number of the youths.

The 16-year-old took a bottle out of his bag, unscrewed the top and passed it to Miah. Miah unscrewed the bottle further and threw the contents into the faces of the two victims.

The first victim suffered burns to his face and shoulder. The acid was so strong that it melted his top.

The second victim was hit in the eye, causing him to lose 20% of his vision as well as leaving severe facial burns.

H137-17victim face The victims of this acid attack have been scarred for life. Source: Met Police

The victims immediately fled the scene. Unable to gain access to their building and suffering from increasingly painful burns, they were found by patrolling officers who administered first aid.

The two victims have life-changing injuries as a result of significant scarring and continue to suffer psychological distress as a result. The 16-year-old was arrested on the day of the assault.

Miah at a later date presented himself at Bethnal Green police station following arrest enquiries at his home address.

“Whilst this sentence provides a degree of justice for the victims and reflects how seriously the police and courts view the possession of noxious substances, I am acutely aware of the devastating impact that attacks of this nature have upon victims,” commented Detective Sergeant Richard Lewsley today.

“The sentence received reinforces the police view that any incident of this nature, or any possession of these type of substances will be investigated thoroughly. I would urge anyone carrying or considering carrying a noxious substance to reflect upon the sentence received today.

“These substances can, and unfortunately are, used in the commission of crimes which have a huge and lasting impact on victims.”

Read: Six injured after fight in London shopping centre ends with acid attack>

Read: Four US tourists targeted in acid attack at French train station>

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel