We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Michaela McAreavey on her wedding day Alamy

Tánaiste urges Mauritian authorities to allow PSNI to help investigate Michaela McAreavey’s murder

Michaela McAreavey, 27, was on her honeymoon when she was strangled in her room at a hotel in Mauritius in 2011.

TÁNAISTE SIMON HARRIS has called on the Mauritian authorities to allow the PSNI to assist in investigations into the 2011 murder of Michaela McAreavey. 

Mrs McAreavey, aged 27 and from Co Tyrone, was on her honeymoon when she was strangled in her room at the Legends Hotel in Mauritius on January 10 2011.

The teacher, who had got married 10 days earlier, was attacked as she returned to her room alone and disturbed a burglary.

No-one has been convicted of murdering the daughter of famous Gaelic football manager Mickey Harte.

Earlier this week, Harris met with Mrs McAreavey’s family. 

He remarked that in the time since her murder, the Department of Foreign Affairs has “supported the McAreavey and Harte families in their quest for justice for their beloved Michaela”.

Harris met with Michaela’s husband John, her brother Mark, sister-in-law Claire, and Barra McGrory KC SC, who carried out an analysis of the case for the Northern Ireland Executive.

Harris said that during this meeting, he “reiterated my Department’s support and commitment in taking all appropriate steps to assist in their fight for justice”. 

He added that he has “reiterated the offer of technical assistance from the PSNI to the Mauritian authorities to assist in their investigations”.

The Irish government has primary consular responsibility for the case and this has been agreed with colleagues in Northern Ireland.

Harris added that he will speak with the Mauritian Foreign Minister in the coming weeks and that he will raise the case with the UK Foreign Secretary, Yvette Cooper, “in the very near future”.

The Tánaiste said he will “ask that the British Government join us in supporting the family in every way possible in seeking truth and justice”.

“As we approach the 15th anniversary of Michaela’s death, it is vital that we explore every single avenue available to us,” said Harris.

In a statement yesterday, John McAreavey noted that he had met with Harris to “discuss what more can be done to hold the Mauritian authorities to their promise of delivering justice for Michaela”.

“It’s approaching 15 years since Michaela was murdered on our honeymoon,” said John McAreavey.

“15 years without accountability, 15 years of waiting, hoping, fighting.

“The pain doesn’t fade – but neither does the resolve. The fight for justice continues.”

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Close
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds