We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Britain's King Charles pictured yesterday in Belfast Alamy Stock Photo

UK radio station apologises after mistakenly announcing death of Britain's King Charles

The mishap came as Charles was visiting Northern Ireland.

A FORMER BRITISH pirate radio station has apologised “for any distress caused” after accidentally announcing the death of Britain’s King Charles.

The erroneous announcement was made on Tuesday afternoon due to a computer error at its main studio in Maldon in eastern Essex, Radio Caroline said in a post on social media.

The error had triggered the so-called death of a monarch procedure “which all UK stations hold in readiness while hoping not to require”, wrote station manager Peter Moore.

“Radio Caroline then fell silent as would be required, which alerted us to restore programming and issue an on-air apology,” he said on Facebook post.

“We apologise to HM (his majesty) the king and to our listeners for any distress caused,” Moore added.

703010246_1563160625812134_3939615572063629905_n Apology on Radio Caroline Facebook page Radio Caroline Radio Caroline

The mishap on Tuesday came as Charles and Camilla were in Northern Ireland, where they joined a performance with an Irish folk group.

The post did not say how long it was before the mistake was discovered, but the Press Association news agency reported that this afternoon, playback for Tuesday’s broadcast between 1.58pm and 5pm was unavailable on the station’s website.

Established in 1964 to challenge the BBC’s broadcasting monopoly, Radio Caroline previously operated from ships off the English coast.

After legislation in 1967 forced many pirate broadcasters to close, it continued intermittently before ending offshore broadcasts in 1990.

- © AFP 2026 

Author
View 4 comments
Close
4 Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

    Leave a commentcancel

     
    JournalTv
    News in 60 seconds