Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
LAST UPDATE | 12 Jul 2025
FIREFIGHTERS IN NORTHERN Ireland said they dealt with a challenging night as bonfires were lit ahead of the 12 July celebrations.
An effigy of the West Belfast rap trio Kneecap was placed atop one bonfire in the city, in a move likely to spark condemnation after a similar effigy of asylum seekers in a boat was set alight earlier this week in Moygashel, Co Tyrone.
The band’s manager Daniel Lambert posted an image of the effigy on the bonfire alongside a quote from Kneecap that stressed that some issues are equally faced by people in the north of Ireland and highlighted commonality between groups.
In another post to X, Lambert included two news headlines: one announcing the police investigation into Kneecap’s Glastonbury performance, and one regarding the bonfires.
“The duality of British policing…” Lambert wrote.
Loyalist bonfire in Belfast tonight "murder kneecap"....
— Daniel Lambert (@dlLambo) July 11, 2025
Here's a direct quote from Kneecap:
"Young working-class people are facing the same issues, whether they’re from the Falls Road or the Shankill. “We talk a lot about how much we have in common." pic.twitter.com/PgzpX7RxSK
Tens of thousands will take to the streets across the region for the traditional Orange Order parades today.
The events will be spread across 19 main locations to mark the 334th anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne where the Protestant King William of Orange triumphed over the Catholic King James II.
It comes after the burning of bonfires at an estimated 300 locations in loyalist neighbourhoods across the region on Thursday and Friday nights.
It was a challenging & extremely busy night for NIFRS. Between 6pm & 2am, we received 277 emergency calls. This resulted in our Firefighters attending 194 operational incidents, 72 of these incidents were bonfire related.
— Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (@NIFRSOFFICIAL) July 12, 2025
Read our full statement: https://t.co/GKx57GKUin pic.twitter.com/Db9Wh00J8l
But the most contentious bonfire was located on a site containing asbestos and close to an electricity sub station off the Donegall Road in south Belfast.
The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) said it dealt with 72 bonfire related incidents across the evening.
One firefighter was attacked while attending a bonfire in Lisburn, Co Antrim.
NIFRS area commander Andy Burns said: “Between 6pm 11 July and 2am 12 July 2025, we received 277 emergency 999 calls.
“This resulted in our firefighters attending 194 operational incidents, 72 of which were bonfire related. Peak activity was between 10pm and 1am.
“During this period, the number of emergency calls received increased by 154% when compared to 2024.
“It was a challenging and extremely busy night for NIFRS with an increase in demand for our regional control centre and emergency response.”
The spokesperson added: “Disappointingly, a firefighter was attacked while attending a bonfire in Lisburn. They were not injured and remained on duty.
“This was an isolated incident and not reflective of the support shown to firefighters in carrying out their duties across the evening.”
Of all the loyal order parades to take place on Saturday, around 30 have been officially categorised as sensitive by the Parades Commission.
Locations of sensitive parades this year include Belfast, Coleraine, Keady, Dunloy, Rasharkin, Strabane, Newtownabbey, Maghera, Newtownbutler, Portadown, Glengormley and Bellaghy.
More than 4,000 police officers and police staff will be working on 12 July.
On the 11th night, around 1,200 officers were deployed to monitor public safety at bonfires.
The cost of policing parades and bonfires in Northern Ireland through spring and summer was £6.1 million last year, a figure that was up £1.5 million (€1.7 million) on the previous year.
The bill, which covers the period April 1 to August 31, also includes the cost of policing republican commemorations around Easter and events to mark the mid-August anniversary of the introduction of internment without trial during the Troubles.
The PSNI expects the costs in 2025 to be higher still.
This is due to falling police numbers and the resultant increased reliance on paying overtime to ensure enough officers are on duty for the events.
Tomorrow morning, an Orange Order parade has been permitted to pass Ardoyne shops in north Belfast restricted to one band and 50 members of the order.
It is a return parade at a former flashpoint which traditionally took place on the evening of July 12 often resulting in violent scenes.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say