This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 20 °C Friday 23 August, 2019
Advertisement

Sexual assault charge against Chris Evans dropped

Police found that there wasn’t enough evidence to proceed with the case.

Image: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire/Press Association Images

CHRIS EVANS WILL face no further action over historic allegations of sexual assault, the Metropolitan Police has said.

The TV and radio presenter was interviewed by police concerning an allegation of sexual assault in London in the 1990s.

In a statement, police said: “A man in his 50s was interviewed under caution by police at an east London police building. The decision was made by the police that there was insufficient evidence to proceed.”

A spokesperson for Evans released the following statement to BBC News: “The Metropolitan Police have confirmed that the complaint has been investigated, but it fails to meet the evidential test to warrant any further action. Case is dropped.”

Earlier this month, Evans stepped down as a presenter on the revamped Top Gear, after just one series with the car show. Ratings were poor, compared to the heights reached by the programme when it was presented by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May.

Read: Chris Evans is leaving Top Gear

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Órla Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (48)