#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 8°C Saturday 24 October 2020
Advertisement

Demonstrators remanded in custody over anti-Royal demonstrations

Twenty demonstrators are remanded in custody with consent to bail, while there are no further public order arrests today.

Image: Mark Stedman/Photocall Ireland

ALL TWENTY DEMONSTRATORS who appeared in court last night charged with public order offences related to yesterday’s demonstrations against the visit of Queen Elizabeth were remanded in custody, with consent to bail.

The 20 had been arrested at various locations in Dublin city centre yesterday following separate incidents at O’Connell Street, North Frederick Street and Moore Street.

Another person who had been arrested was released without charge having been given an adult caution at Pearse Street Garda station.

A spokesperson for the courts service said that five of the twenty people charged had taken up the offer of bail as of last night, but could not declare for sure whether any more of those charged had taken up the offer.

A Garda spokesperson has said, meanwhile, that there was no indication of any further arrests at continuing demonstrations today.

The republican group Éirígí this lunchtime held a demonstration in Kilmainham, protesting at the invitation of five former brigadeers of the UDA to the ceremony at Islandbridge where the Queen laid a wreath to Ireland’s war dead.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

About the author:

Gavan Reilly

Read next:

COMMENTS