Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Donegal

First funeral underway for four men killed in Donegal car crash

Shaun Harkin’s funeral is taking place at Christ the King church, Gortahork.

LAST UPDATE | 31 Jan 2019

Donegal crash victims funerals Shaun Harkin's funeral cortège makes its way to Christ the King church this morning Niall Carson / PA Images Niall Carson / PA Images / PA Images

THE FIRST OF four funerals for the four young men who died in a car crash in Co Donegal on Sunday night is taking place this morning.

The men, all in their twenties, were from the local area. Shaun Harkin‘s funeral mass began at 10am.

Members of the local GAA club lined the streets as Harkin’s funeral cortege made its way towards Christ the King Church, Gortahork for his funeral mass, with burial afterwards in the adjacent cemetery.

Mícheal Roarty‘s funeral mass will take place in the Sacred Heart Church, Dunlewey, at 11.30am this morning, with burial afterwards in the adjoining cemetery.

John Harley‘s funeral mass will take place at St Finian’s Church, Falcarragh, at 1pm this afternoon, with burial afterwards in the adjoining cemetery.

Daniel Scott‘s funeral mass will take part in Christ the King Church, Gortahork, at 2.30pm this afternoon, with burial afterwards in the adjacent cemetery.

The single-vehicle collision occurred on a road near Magheraroarty, Gortahork, shortly before 9pm on Sunday, where Garda and emergency services were called to the scene. 

The four men, travelling in one car, were pronounced dead at the scene, and the cause of the crash is not yet known. Gardaí have appealed for witnesses. 

Sinn Féin councillor John Seamais Ó Fearraigh told TheJournal.ie earlier this week, that people in the area are “devastated”.

Four young men have lost their lives, it’s a huge tragedy. It’s just devastating for all the families and all the friends as well.

“The two parishes of Gweedore and Gortahork are just totally numb,” Ó Fearraigh said. 

He commended emergency services for responding so promptly to the incident, saying: “You can’t imagine what they go through, it’s very distressing.”

With reporting by Órla Ryan

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
14
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

    Leave a commentcancel