Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

File photo of Castletownbere in Co Cork, where a retired schoolteacher drowned while out fishing yesterday. Google Maps
Tragedy

Irish waters claim fifth victim after teacher drowns off Cork

The body of a retired schoolteacher was recovered off Co Cork yesterday after his boat capsized near Castletownbere.

THE WATERS off Ireland’s coasts have claimed their fifth victim in a week, after the body of a man in his 60s was recovered from waters off Co Cork yesterday.

The man, a retired schoolteacher, was recovered near Pulleen Pier in Castletownbere at about 2:30pm yesterday afternoon.

The Irish Examiner names the deceased as Pearse Lyne, aged 64, who had been the principal in the boy’s national school in Castletownbere. He was married with a son and three daughters.

It is thought he had gone out to sea about five hours earlier and had been laying lobster pots before his boat was spotted overturned.

Lifeboats and coastguard helicopters were dispatched and found the man’s body about 150m from the pier.

The tragedy came less than four days after another man in his 60s died when the dinghy in which he and his 18-year-old son were travelling capsized close by. The man drowned while his son clung to the upturned craft and then swam to safety.

On Tuesday, the bodies of two missing fishermen were discovered a day after their boat had failed to return to port after a day out lobster fishing.

The body of another fisherman was recovered from the sea near Clare Island, off Mayo, on Wednesday evening.

Agriculture and marine minister Simon Coveney said this had been “a particularly tragic week at sea for Co Clare and for Co Cork.

“My heart goes out to all of the families who are struggling to deal with the loss of their loved ones,” the minister said.

“This has been a shocking and tragic week in a year that has seen so much loss and sadness at sea.”

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
16
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.