Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
LAST UPDATE | 8 Sep 2025
SIPTU MEMBERS IN Dublin Fire Brigade have suspended industrial action that was due to begin today, following intervention by the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC).
Negotiations are scheduled to start on Friday, with both sides asked to hold off on any further action in the meantime.
The dispute centers on the introduction of a new national Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system, which Dublin firefighters say could undermine emergency response capabilities.
The union has argued that the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage attempted to impose the system without meaningful consultation with frontline staff.
Firefighters are particularly concerned about how the new system separates fire and ambulance dispatches.
Currently, the Fire Based Emergency Medical Service allows fire and ambulance resources to be dispatched simultaneously, ensuring rapid emergency interventions.
The new CAD system would separate fire and ambulance calls, meaning teams could no longer be sent simultaneously, which firefighters say could slow emergency care.
SIPTU Organiser Geoff McEvoy highlighted the risks this creates, describing scenarios where current integrated dispatch has been critical.
“In one recent case in North Dublin, a fire truck en route to a call was diverted in real time to a cardiac arrest, allowing trained firefighters to deliver lifesaving care immediately,” McEvoy said.
“How could Dublin Fire Brigade respond like that if fire and ambulance calls are managed on different systems?”
He also stressed the perceived lack of transparency and consultation.
McEvoy said negotiations must start with a full disclosure of the project, including all implications for emergency medical services in Dublin, which make up the majority of the workload.
“Everything will be put on the table during talks on Friday,” McEvoy said.
While industrial action is now suspended, SIPTU said members are ready to engage in talks to protect both public safety and the effectiveness of Dublin’s emergency services.
The union emphasised that any resolution must ensure firefighters can continue providing “rapid, coordinated responses” across fire and ambulance services.
Last week, a spokesperson for the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage said that emergency call-taking for fire services “is delivered as a shared service across local authorities.”
“A new improved call taking system was successfully brought live and is now operating in the Munster and Western regions, supporting emergency mobilisation of 121 fire stations from both the Munster and West Regional Communication Centres,” the spokesperson said.
They added that while Minister Browne has “no direct involvement” in this dispute, he “hopes that Dublin Fire Management and the Unions can agree a way forward to enable the full implementation of the new system which brings benefits both in terms of public safety and resilience.”
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say