Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
GERRY ‘THE MONK’ Hutch has said he plans to return to Ireland from Lanzarote in the coming days to officially register as a candidate in the Dublin Central by-election.
Hutch has already got his campaign up and running online, posting on social media asking people to give him their first preference vote.
“I’ll go over, pay my fee, and sign on the dotted line and then the race is on,” Hutch told the Irish Independent.
“I think I’ve as equal a chance as anyone else who’s in it.”
The Dáil seat became available when Fine Gael’s Paschal Donohoe left his role in government to take up a senior position at the World Bank in November last year.
Candidates have until midday on 1 May to register ahead of polling day, which is Friday 22 May.
Told about Hutch’s announcement and asked for her reaction when speaking to reporters at the Sinn Féin Ard Fheis today, party leader Mary Lou McDonald said:
‘That’s great, good for him. I mean, people are entitled to fight the election.”
She said her focus “is on the welfare of the people of Dublin Central”.
She said Dublin Central is “a great constituency” with “incredible and diverse communities” who have been “under incredible pressure” for generations.
“And my view, my strong view, is that the best result for people in Dublin Central, in Cabra, in the inner city and beyond, is to return another Sinn Féin TD,” she said.
“Every candidate has to go out and fight their campaign. These are competitive processes with all due respect. So whoever chooses to go ahead, they’re entitled to, that’s their business.”
With reporting from Christina Finn
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say